A hearing is scheduled for September 19, 2013 at 3:00pm to discuss proposed changes to North Carolina air toxics contained in Session Law 2012-91, signed into law June 28, 2012. Proposed changes include exemption from state air toxics rules for major sources of air pollution subject to federal Maximum Achievable Control Technology (MACT) or area sources subject to General Achievable Control Technology (GACT) rules. For instance, MSW landfills subject to 40 CFR Part 63 Subparts AAAA or ZZZZ, or Part 60 Subpart JJJJ may not be required to determine ambient air levels of toxic pollutants from landfill or flare emissions.
Additional proposed changes
- Exemption of certain natural gas and propane fired combustion sources and certain emergency generators;
- Clarification of the term “actual rate of emissions”;
- Removal of the term “unadulterated wood”;
- Repeal of air toxics rules for wastewater treatment systems at pulp and paper mills; and
- Relaxation of toxic emission rates requiring a permit and acceptable ambient air levels (AAL) for arsenic and asbestos.
The hearing will be held in the Training Room (Room 1210) in the Green Square office building, 217 West Jones St., Raleigh.