Providing the right solid waste engineering solutions through innovation and efficiency
At Smith Gardner, Inc., our expertise is centered on providing the right solid waste engineering solutions through innovation and efficiency. Our expertise spans all aspects of solid waste engineering. Please browse the list on the left side of the page to learn more about specific areas of our expertise.
We have extensive engineering experience with several complex landfill sites. Some of the complexities encountered on these sites include gold mine closure; groundwater flow within fractured bedrock; “piggyback” designs for landfill units; diabase dikes in the subsurface; and steep base and final grades. Based on this experience, Smith Gardner, Inc. has helped develop a number of industry-wide innovations, including:
- Piggy Back Landfill Design/Construction
- Gravity Groundwater Intercept System
- Subtitle-D Landfill Closure
- Rain-Gutter Landfill Cap Drainage Systems
- Double-liner Landfill Design/Installation in North Carolina
Additionally, four of our projects have won national awards of excellence, including:
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Region 4 Excellence in Site Reuse Award, 2012
- U.S. EPA Landfill Methane Outreach Program (LMOP) Project of the Year, 2011
- U.S. EPA LMOP Partner of the Year, 2011 (Two projects won this award)
Our focus on providing the right solutions in the most efficient way delivers measureable success for our clients. We have added 15 years of life to one landfill and saved another landfill over $1-million in soil borrow expenses.