Committed to developing sustainable practices & supporting our community
As leaders in environmental consulting, it is our responsibility to develop environmentally appropriate practices for the future. We do this through our leadership involvement with:
- Environmental Research & Education Foundation, an independent foundation committed to sustainable waste management practices;
- Solid Waste Association of North America (SWANA), a professional association dedicated to advancing the solid waste industry through resource management;
- Carolina Recycling Association (CRA), a non-profit committed to waste reduction and recycling efforts;
- National Waste and Recycling Association (NWRA), a trade association representing private waste and recycling companies; and
- United States Composting Council (USCC), a non-profit dedicated to improving recycling and organics composting.
- Industry Thought Leader – S+G staff continually share our experience with industry and other environmental professionals through presentations and papers (see Publications) to advance our field.
- North Carolina State University (NCSU) – This commitment also extends to our local community where we provide scholarships to future engineers at NCSU through the Dr. Gregory N. Richardson Endowment Scholarship and the Smith Gardner Graduate Award. We provide support to the NCSU Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering Department through participation on the Industry Advisory Board (IAB).
- STEM Education – We support STEM education programs from elementary to high school, through in-class events, site tours, judging at science fairs, and support for Science Olympiad teams.